A world leader in recycling, Sonoco Recycling collects more than 3.5 million tons of paper, plastic, metal and other materials annually. Today, we operate more than 40 recycling facilities globally and help more than 15,000 retailers, manufacturers and communities save money, save resources and create clean, renewable energy.
Awards, History, Process, and Community Impact
- Striving for excellence
- A legacy of opportunity
- Sonoco Recycling was born out of Sonoco’s growing need for the fiber used to make packaging – and grew quickly to help other companies and communities transform waste into opportunity. See our history.
- Knowledge that powers innovation
- We always begin with a holistic review of your company's or community’s existing waste management practices to ensure we design solutions based on where you are – and where you’d like to go. See our process.
- Doing good for the greater good
- Though we’re global in reach, we’ll always have small-town roots. We know that good neighbors make great communities, so we make it our business to do good wherever we are in the world. See our community impact.
The Sonoco Sustainability Solutions (S3) process helps our customers become “landfill-free” through the diversion of at least 99% of their waste.
Comprehensive waste stream solutions
S3 waste reduction specialists begin by conducting an audit of your
facility to review existing waste handling practices. Next, a tailored
program is developed to reduce the amount of waste going to landfill.
S3 also facilitates the sale of previously landfilled materials and
identifies alternative uses for remaining waste, such as converting
it into renewable energy.
After implementation, the S3 team continually monitors how well
programs are working. Productivity improvements, financial savings
and environmental benefits are tracked and reviewed, and are available
real-time via our automated Web reporting program.
Click here to visit the S3 page.
- Full-scale waste and reclamation audits
- Equipment specification and management
- Centralized management
- Removal of waste materials
- Secured destruction of branded and data materials
- Transportation and selling of recyclable materials
- Automated Web reporting and tracking
- We are a founding member of the EPS Industry Alliance
- The EPS Industry Alliance (EPS-IA) was formed in March of 2012, uniting more than 60 companies in the expanded polystyrene (EPS) industry. Leading the industry through key performance and environmental issues, EPS-IA facilitates the development of recycling and awareness communications and programs. Open communication is maintained with Original equipment manufacturers (OEMs) and other EPS packaging manufacturers around the world to provide up-to-date information on packaging issues that can affect their business operations. EPS-IA also provides the OEM community with the tools and resources necessary to communicate with their consumers.
- With a deep commitment to the sustainability of EPS and to protecting our environment, EPS-IA created a proprietary network for the collection, reprocessing and reuse of foam packaging. To further protect the environment, EPS-IA joined CarbonFund.org. Partnership with this organization helps successfully reduce carbon emissions while still allowing business to run effectively and efficiently.
Click here for information on recycling EPS.